Tibet Travel Tips & FAQs

As a local travel agency in Lhasa, with many years' experience of organizing tours in Tibet, we have listed lots of important questions that are frequently asked by our esteemed customers. In addition, we will update them from time to time. If you are not able to find the answer to your question here when planning your trip, please feel free to contact us, and we will get back to you within 0.5~23.5 hours.

General FAQs of Tibet Tour

  • 1. When is the best time to Tibet?
    It is recommended that the best time for tourists to Tibet is from May to July and September to October. For the heave snow and bad weather, the road may be blocked which make it difficult to travel. While in August, rainfall will happen frequently. However, Lhasa, Tsedang and Shigates are welcome you all-year round with suitable climate.
  • 2. How to get to Tibet?
    There is one international flight to Lhasa from Kathmandu while there are many domestic flights connecting with Tibet from major cities of China like Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Xian, Shangri La and so on.
    And if you are interested in taking the Qinghai-Tibet Train, you can take trains from Beijing, Shanghai, Chengdu, Guangzhou, Xian, Lanzhou, Chongqing and Xining to Lhasa. For the few soft-sleeper and long journey, you can take flight to Xining, then take train from Xining to Lhasa.
  • 3. What should I bring when travel to Tibet?
    For clothing, casual and long-sleeved clothes are enough, but if you want to remote areas like the Everest Camp or further to Mt.Kailash, down coat is a must. For the strong solar radiation in Tibet, sunscreen with high SPF, sunglasses and noisture scream are necessary to prevent you get sunburnt.
  • 4. What currencies can be used in Tibet? Are credit cards accepted?
    Chinese Yuan ( RMB or CNY)is the currency using in Tibet now. Besides it, US dollars can be accepted too. But you'd better exchange your money to Chinese currency.
    Credit cards can only be accepted by the Bank of China, up-market and large shopping department in Lhasa and Shigatse.
  • 5. Can I withdraw cash from the local banks in Tibet?
    You can withdraw cash from the Bank of China ATM which are available in Lhasa, Shigatse and Tsedang. But in rural areas, there will be no ATMs at all. You are suggested bring some cash with you when you come to Tibet.
  • 6. Which things I shouldn't do during my stay in Tibet?
    Don't take photos of Tibetan people without permission. You'd better ask for permission before taking pictures.
    Don't enter a monastery without permission. Don't smoke in monasteries. Don't touch Buddha statues, religious objects or prayer flags.
    Don't step on the threshold when entering a tent, house, or monastery.
    Don't touch the head of a Tibetan. The head is considered as a sacred part of the body.
    Don't drive away or hurt eagles. Eagles are considered holy birds in the hearts of Tibetan people.
    Do not kiss or hug in public places, especially in monasteries!
  • 7. Are independent travelers allowed in Tibet?
    Since 2008, independent tour has been prohibited in Tibet. so all the foreign travellers should take part in an organized tour group or come under the arragement of local tour agency.

FAQs of Tibet Travel Permits

  • 1. Who needs to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit?

    All foreign tourists ( non-Chinese passport holders, overseas Chinese people, and Taiwanese ) need to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit when they plan to enter Tibet Autonomous Region.

  • 2. Which kinds of Tibet Travel Permits do I need to travel in Tibet?
    Four permits:

    Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit - "TTB permit", "Tibet Entry Permit", "Tibet Visa" or "Lhasa Visa"; a must-have permission for foreign tourists entering Tibet from mainland China, Nepal or other countries.

    Aliens' Travel Permit - "PSB permit"; a must permit for foreign tourists visiting the "unopened areas" out of Lhasa, such as Nyingchi region, Ngari region. Your passport and TTB permit are required for applying for.

    Military Permit - a permit for those who are planning to travel the military sensitive areas in Tibet, such as the border with other countries. Traveling together with TTB permit and PSB permit.

    Frontier Pass - the official permit for all travelers from home and aboard, who travel to the border between Tibet with other regions or countries.

    Two visas:

    Chinese Visa - "China Visa" or "China Entry Visa"; an officially approved document to foreign tourists applying for, to enter, leave or transit through mainland China.

    Group Visa - a "must" for tourists entering Tibet from Kathmandu, Nepal, no mater whether you already have a Chinese Visa or not. Traveling together with other Tibet Travel Permits.

  • 3. How to apply for Tibet Travel Permit?

    Because Tibet Tourism Bureau does not accept individual applications for permits, visitors must entrust a Tibet local travel agency to apply for TTB permit, Frontier Pass and Military Permit. As a local travel agency, we can do for you. You need to contact us at contact@tour-tibet.com, book our service, tell us your detailed personal information, send us the documents: copy of your passport, copy of your China visa and work/ study certificates. Then we send your permits to your places.

    Aliens' Travel Permit can be applied for after your arrival from Public Security Bureau in Tibet. But we suggest that you entrust us to apply for you, because it is much easy via our service.

    Group Visa must be applied for at Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal. You need get TTB permit and Invitation Letter from Tibet local travel agency, and they entrust Nepal local travel agency to apply for Group Visa.

  • 4. How long does Tibet Travel Permit application process take?

    Usually, it can be issued in 3 - 5 working days. But if you want to travel some restricted or unopened areas like Everest Base Camp, Mount Kailash, it need several different permits, then it would take more time. If you need our service, please contact us at least 25 days prior to your Tibet tour starting.

  • 5. How much does the Tibet Travel Permit cost?

    TTB Permit is free for foreign tourists. But you need to pay $100 to $200 per person for the application service of travel agency. For us, we spend a lot on human resource to handle the application: such as sorting out travel information, preparing paper and electronic documents, dealing with several government departments, delivering the document to tourists, etc.
    Alien's Travel Permit: 50 yuan per person
    Military Permit: 100 yuan person
    Frontier Pass: 50 yuan per person
    Group Visa: different price for foreign tourists from different countries.

FAQs of Tibet Trains

FAQs of Tibet Flights

FAQs of Safety & Health

  • 1. What causes the Acute Mountain Sickness?
    Reduced air pressure and lack of oxygen in the highland will cause the high altitude sickness. It usually occurs around 3,000 meters above sea level.
  • 2. What are the symptoms of AMS (Acute Mountain Sickness)?
    Dizziness or light-headedness
    Shortness of breath with exertion
    Loss of appetite
    Nausea or vomiting
    Rapid pulse (heart rate)
    Poor sleeping
  • 3. How to prevent the Altitude Sickness?
    Before you go to Tibet, try to get as fit and healthy as possible both physically and psychologically. And get a medical examination if you've never been to plateaus. Don't get sick, especially catch cold or respiratory problems.
    After entering Tibet, you should avoid brisk walking or running immediately or carry heavy things. During the first 24 hours, do not do strenuous activities, but light activities are better for your remission from Altitude Sickness. About diet, drink plenty of water and try to eat high-carbohydrate food. If your symptoms are just mild and you can handle it, it is better not to take oxygen. The most important things is take it easy, go to higher altitude place gradually, breathe deeply and take more rest than usual.
  • 4. What kind of people should avoid going to high altitude places?
    Visitors who have already caught a cold, have severe anemia, high blood pressure, severe heart disease, woman with an adavanced pregnancy and children under three years old ahould avoid go to high altitude places.
  • 5. What to do if I get Altitude Sickness in Tibet?
    If you get altitude sickness, you should get enough rest and to climb down to a lower altitude place as quickly and safely as possible. If necessary, extra oxygen should be taken. And if you don't get any better or get worse after 3 to 4 hours, you need to be taken to hospital as soon as possible.
  • 6. What medicines should I bring for the high elevation?
    Medications you may need include: cold and flu tablets, throat lozenges, nasal decongestants, and Aspirin.
  • 7. Is the Altitude Sickness serious?
    For most tourists when they first go to the high plateau, experiencing AMS is very common. The symptoms vary based on your own health condition.

Popular Questions of Booking

  • 1. How many ways can I contact you?
    We offer the following contact ways:
    * by email: contact@tour-tibet.com
    * click the button of "Tailor Your Own Trip"
    * click the button of "Free Inquiry"
    * click "contact us"
    * by phone: 86+182 1104 4601 / 86+10 8832 3716 (24/7)
  • 2. Do I have to travel on certain dates?
    Because all of our tours are customizable, you can travel with us on any date you wish ( depending on flights ).
    The itineraries provided on our website are only sample, and you can change any destinations to suit your tastes and budget. Your travel consultant will provide advice and answer your questions.
  • 3. How can do the payment?
    Once you are satisfied with all the arrangements and your tour is confirmed, you need to pay a deposit of 20% of the total cost of your trip, via PayPal, Credit Card, Western Union, Wire Transfer.
    When starting your tour, you need to finish the final payment and then start your dream Tibet tour with us!
  • 4. Can I talk to a travel consultant in person?
    Yes ! We welcome our clients to come to our company and speak with our travel consultant face to face. And then customize your Tibet tour together with you.
  • 5. Will I be travelling as a member of a group?
    No. Our tailor-made trips are arranged on an individual basis, which mean you are not tied to the wishes of a group and you can arrange your itinerary at your own pace.
    If you are interested in a Group Tour, we do offer a arranged tour in a small group of up to 16 people.
  • 6. Can I arrange my Tibet tour on my own? Is is easier and cheaper?
    No. When you plan to tour Tibet, you firstly need to apply for the Tibet Travel Permits, which must be entrusted to a local travel agency for application from Tibet Tourist Bureau.
  • 7. Can I cancel my tailor-made tour?
    Yes ! If you want to cancel your tailor-made tour due to some factors, you can. But you will be liable to pay cancellation charges that are bounded by Tour Tibet cancellation policy. Please read more about Terms and Conditions.

    No documents found.

Tell us your Travel Plan or Ask a Question

Any requirements about your private trip? Your contact name:
Your contact email:
Your travel date: Confirm your email:
How many of your travel group? Your contact tel:

Why travel with Tour-tibet.com

  • Travel Expert of Tour-tibet.com

    Local Travel Experts

    They have thorough knowledge about Tibetan culture, climate, hotels and all destinations for tours in Tibet.

    Learn more
  • Lowest Price Guaranteed

    Best Price Guaranteed

    As a Tibet local travel agency based in Lhasa, we ensure the best price for any of trips you book.

    Learn more

Customize a trip or email us your Tibet travel plan via : info@tour-tibet.com

Pin It to Pinterest