Passport & China Visa, come to China

China Visa, also known "Chinese Visa" or "China Entry Visa", is an officially approved document issued by authorized bodies of Chinese government, in accordance with the laws of the PRC, to foreign tourists apply for to enter, leave or transit through mainland China.

Wherever places a foreign tourist plans to travel in China, he or she should get a Chinese visa first. ( Except China Visa Exemption and China 72-Hour Free-Visa Transit ) If wanting to visit Tibet Autonomous Region, a province of China, he or she also should apply for Tibet Travel Permits.

Chinese Visa

Chinese Visa

1. Who should apply for a China Visa?

All travelers coming to mainland China, whether for business or pleasure, are required a China Visa, unless they are visa-exemption according to certain agreements and regulations. If traveler coming to mainland China from Hong Kong and Macau Special Administrative Regions, and from most Western nations, he or she can enter mainland China without a visa.

2. How and where you apply for a China Visa?

Firstly, you should have a valid passport for at least 6 months. Secondly, it is better to apply for your China Visa through a Chinese Embassy in your home country or in a third country. The costs and the length of time to process a visa vary in different countries.

If you plan to enter Tibet from mainland China, do not list Tibet as a travel destination when you filling the China Visa Application Form; otherwise, you might be rejected. It is wise to list other popular cities, such as Beijing, Shanghai, Xian and Chengdu as your travel destination.

3. What documents for China Visa application?

Usually, you should prepare ( might be different ):
1) A Valid Passport;
2) A photograph for passport;
3) A tour itinerary booked from a travel agency;
4) The related forms/ letters required by visa type application.

4. How much money & time for China Visa application?

Money for China Visa application is charged basing on the types of China Visas. Please read more information at

China Visa applications are usually processed in 4 to 5 working days, but different visas for different time. Rush 24-hour visa service is available in most locations for additional fees.

5. Which type of China Visa is usually applied?

So far, there many types of China visas for different foreign tourists coming to China. For ordinary tourists, L Visa is better for application. It is issued for the tourists who comes to China for sightseeing, family visiting or other private purposes.

Chinese L Visa

Chinese L Visa

Foreign tourists need to pay more attention to:

1) "Enter Before" ( validity )

It refers to the validity of visa or the time limit of visa. The travelers should hold it to enter mainland China before 24:00 on the exact day of expiration; otherwise, it expires after the lime limit and travelers can not use it even if there are many entry times left. China Visa is valid for either 3 months, 6 months, 12 months basing on the purpose and number of entries.

2) Duration of Each Stay

It refers to the maximum number of days that the travelers are permitted to stay in mainland China each time, which is counted from the next day after entering. Overstaying is forbidden by Chinese laws and regulations. If the duration of stay is extended, travelers should apply for a new one at the exit and enter department of local public security authorities before at least one week before it expires.

6. Other three types of China Visas for Tibet Travel Permits

Travelers holding these types of China Visas can also apply for Tibet Travel Permits.

1) D Visa: issued to those who intend to reside in China permanently.
Application documents: Residence Permit, Working Permit, Tour Itinerary, Passport Photocopy

2) F Visa: issued to those who intend to go to China for exchanges, visits, study tours and other activities.
Application documents: any documents to prove your purpose of exchanges, visits, study tours, Tour Itinerary, Passport Photocopy

3) X Visa: issued to those who study in China for a period of more than 6 months:
Application documents: any documents to prove your purpose of study more than 6 months, Tour Itinerary, Passport Photocopy

7. China Visa Exemption

Foreign tourists coming to China are exempt from China Visa when one of the following situations is applicable to them. But they can not enter Tibet regions without a China Visa.

1) China 72-Hour Visa-Free Transit

Foreign tourists who are going to transit China are exempt from visas, as long as they enter China from the appointed airports with a booked seat in an international flights to the third country, and their stay in the city is not to exceed 72 hours. ( The time is counted from the 0:00 of next time. )

The countries include: Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Chengdu, Chongqing, Dalian and Shenyang. ( in April 24, 2014 )

2) Travelers to the Pearl River Delta or Hainan Island

Foreign tourists who hold ordinary passports with diplomatic relations with China, are exempt from a China visa, if they are already in Hong Kong or Macao and wish to enter the Pearl River Delta region, including Guangzhou, Shenzhen, Zhuhai, Foshan, Dongguan, Zhongshan, Jiangmen, Zhaoqing and Huizhou, as a member of tourist group organized by a travel agency legally registered in Hong Kong and Macao, and also their stay will not exceed 6 days.

Foreign tourists who hold ordinary passports with diplomatic relations with China, are exempt from a China visa if they travel to Hainan Province in a tourist group organized by an international travel agency registered in Hainan Province and approved by China National Tourism Administration, and also their stay will not exceed 15 days.

Frequently Asked Questions of Tibet Travel Permit

  • 1. Who needs to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit?

    All foreign tourists ( non-Chinese passport holders, overseas Chinese people, and Taiwanese ) need to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit when they plan to enter Tibet Autonomous Region.

  • 2. Which kinds of Tibet Travel Permits do I need to travel in Tibet?
    Four permits:

    Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit - "TTB permit", "Tibet Entry Permit", "Tibet Visa" or "Lhasa Visa"; a must-have permission for foreign tourists entering Tibet from mainland China, Nepal or other countries.

    Aliens' Travel Permit - "PSB permit"; a must permit for foreign tourists visiting the "unopened areas" out of Lhasa, such as Nyingchi region, Ngari region. Your passport and TTB permit are required for applying for.

    Military Permit - a permit for those who are planning to travel the military sensitive areas in Tibet, such as the border with other countries. Traveling together with TTB permit and PSB permit.

    Frontier Pass - the official permit for all travelers from home and aboard, who travel to the border between Tibet with other regions or countries.

    Two visas:

    Chinese Visa - "China Visa" or "China Entry Visa"; an officially approved document to foreign tourists applying for, to enter, leave or transit through mainland China.

    Group Visa - a "must" for tourists entering Tibet from Kathmandu, Nepal, no mater whether you already have a Chinese Visa or not. Traveling together with other Tibet Travel Permits.

  • 3. How to apply for Tibet Travel Permit?

    Because Tibet Tourism Bureau does not accept individual applications for permits, visitors must entrust a Tibet local travel agency to apply for TTB permit, Frontier Pass and Military Permit. As a local travel agency, we can do for you. You need to contact us at, book our service, tell us your detailed personal information, send us the documents: copy of your passport, copy of your China visa and work/ study certificates. Then we send your permits to your places.

    Aliens' Travel Permit can be applied for after your arrival from Public Security Bureau in Tibet. But we suggest that you entrust us to apply for you, because it is much easy via our service.

    Group Visa must be applied for at Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal. You need get TTB permit and Invitation Letter from Tibet local travel agency, and they entrust Nepal local travel agency to apply for Group Visa.

  • 4. How long does Tibet Travel Permit application process take?

    Usually, it can be issued in 3 - 5 working days. But if you want to travel some restricted or unopened areas like Everest Base Camp, Mount Kailash, it need several different permits, then it would take more time. If you need our service, please contact us at least 25 days prior to your Tibet tour starting.

  • 5. How much does the Tibet Travel Permit cost?

    TTB Permit is free for foreign tourists. But you need to pay $100 to $200 per person for the application service of travel agency. For us, we spend a lot on human resource to handle the application: such as sorting out travel information, preparing paper and electronic documents, dealing with several government departments, delivering the document to tourists, etc.
    Alien's Travel Permit: 50 yuan per person
    Military Permit: 100 yuan person
    Frontier Pass: 50 yuan per person
    Group Visa: different price for foreign tourists from different countries.

Tell us your Travel Plan or Ask a Question

Any requirements about your private trip? Your contact name:
Your contact email:
Your travel date: Confirm your email:
How many of your travel group? Your contact tel:

Why travel with

  • Travel Expert of

    Local Travel Experts

    They have thorough knowledge about Tibetan culture, climate, hotels and all destinations for tours in Tibet.

    Learn more
  • Lowest Price Guaranteed

    Best Price Guaranteed

    As a Tibet local travel agency based in Lhasa, we ensure the best price for any of trips you book.

    Learn more

Customize a trip or email us your Tibet travel plan via :

Pin It to Pinterest