Permit to Visit Mount Everest

Mount Everest is the highest mountains ( 8,848 meters ), located at the international border between China and Nepal. It has two Everest Base Camps, South Base Camp ( 5,364m ) in Nepal and North Base Camp ( 5,150m ) in Tibet. Especially, the north camp attracts numerous international tourists as well experienced mountaineers every year.

The foreign tourists love to climb Mount Everest and have an Everest Base Camp ( EBC ) trek. Before they do this, the must apply for at least three permits.

Mount Everest Base Camp

Mount Everest Base Camp

1. Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit ( TTB permit )

TTB permit is the first must-have permission for all foreign tourist who wants to enter Tibet and have good Tibet tour. It is issued by the Tibet Tourism Bureau and has to be applied through a Tibet local travel agency.

Read more information TTB permit.

Tibet Tourism Bureaum Permit

Tibet Tourism Bureaum Permit ( Beijing - Tibet - Beijing )

2. Frontier Pass

Frontier Pass is the official document for travelers to tour the border between Tibet with other countries. It is applied for through Armed Police Tibet Frontier Corps in Lhasa. Without this paper, foreign travelers won't be allowed to go to EBC or travel Nepal via Zhangmu border. Even if you fly to Kathmandu from Lhasa, you will be asked to show this pass at the airport. The application takes about 1.5 hours.

The documents needed are:
1) copy of TTB permit;
2) copy of passport;
3) copy of China Visa;
4) tour itinerary.

Read more information Frontier Pass.

Tibet Frontier Pass

Tibet Frontier Pass

3. Aliens' Travel Permit ( PSB permit )

PSB permit is a "must" for those who are planing to travel the "unopened areas" outside Lhasa. Mt. Everest belongs to the "unopened areas". Without this permit, travelers can not reach the Everest Base Camp. You can get it at the Foreign Affairs Office in Lhasa or in Shigatse.

Read more information Aliens' Travel Permit.

Aliens' Travel Permit

Aliens' Travel Permit

4. Mountaineering License

If you plan to visit any places higher than the EBC, such as Advanced Base Camp ( ABC, 6,500 meters ), Rongpuk Glacier, you have to apply for another permit - Mountaineering License which is issued by Tibet Mountaineering Association, and you also hire a professional climbing coordinator.

As a Tibet local travel agency, we provides one-stop service for all necessary permits application for your Tibet tour. All you need to do is to give us your personal information, passport, China Visa. If you are planning a tour to EBC, please feel free to contact us. We can customize all Tibet tour and EBC tour.

Frequently Asked Questions of Tibet Travel Permit

  • 1. Who needs to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit?

    All foreign tourists ( non-Chinese passport holders, overseas Chinese people, and Taiwanese ) need to apply for the Tibet Travel Permit when they plan to enter Tibet Autonomous Region.

  • 2. Which kinds of Tibet Travel Permits do I need to travel in Tibet?
    Four permits:

    Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit - "TTB permit", "Tibet Entry Permit", "Tibet Visa" or "Lhasa Visa"; a must-have permission for foreign tourists entering Tibet from mainland China, Nepal or other countries.

    Aliens' Travel Permit - "PSB permit"; a must permit for foreign tourists visiting the "unopened areas" out of Lhasa, such as Nyingchi region, Ngari region. Your passport and TTB permit are required for applying for.

    Military Permit - a permit for those who are planning to travel the military sensitive areas in Tibet, such as the border with other countries. Traveling together with TTB permit and PSB permit.

    Frontier Pass - the official permit for all travelers from home and aboard, who travel to the border between Tibet with other regions or countries.

    Two visas:

    Chinese Visa - "China Visa" or "China Entry Visa"; an officially approved document to foreign tourists applying for, to enter, leave or transit through mainland China.

    Group Visa - a "must" for tourists entering Tibet from Kathmandu, Nepal, no mater whether you already have a Chinese Visa or not. Traveling together with other Tibet Travel Permits.

  • 3. How to apply for Tibet Travel Permit?

    Because Tibet Tourism Bureau does not accept individual applications for permits, visitors must entrust a Tibet local travel agency to apply for TTB permit, Frontier Pass and Military Permit. As a local travel agency, we can do for you. You need to contact us at, book our service, tell us your detailed personal information, send us the documents: copy of your passport, copy of your China visa and work/ study certificates. Then we send your permits to your places.

    Aliens' Travel Permit can be applied for after your arrival from Public Security Bureau in Tibet. But we suggest that you entrust us to apply for you, because it is much easy via our service.

    Group Visa must be applied for at Chinese Embassy in Kathmandu, Nepal. You need get TTB permit and Invitation Letter from Tibet local travel agency, and they entrust Nepal local travel agency to apply for Group Visa.

  • 4. How long does Tibet Travel Permit application process take?

    Usually, it can be issued in 3 - 5 working days. But if you want to travel some restricted or unopened areas like Everest Base Camp, Mount Kailash, it need several different permits, then it would take more time. If you need our service, please contact us at least 25 days prior to your Tibet tour starting.

  • 5. How much does the Tibet Travel Permit cost?

    TTB Permit is free for foreign tourists. But you need to pay $100 to $200 per person for the application service of travel agency. For us, we spend a lot on human resource to handle the application: such as sorting out travel information, preparing paper and electronic documents, dealing with several government departments, delivering the document to tourists, etc.
    Alien's Travel Permit: 50 yuan per person
    Military Permit: 100 yuan person
    Frontier Pass: 50 yuan per person
    Group Visa: different price for foreign tourists from different countries.

Tell us your Travel Plan or Ask a Question

Any requirements about your private trip? Your contact name:
Your contact email:
Your travel date: Confirm your email:
How many of your travel group? Your contact tel:

Why travel with

  • Travel Expert of

    Local Travel Experts

    They have thorough knowledge about Tibetan culture, climate, hotels and all destinations for tours in Tibet.

    Learn more
  • Lowest Price Guaranteed

    Best Price Guaranteed

    As a Tibet local travel agency based in Lhasa, we ensure the best price for any of trips you book.

    Learn more

Customize a trip or email us your Tibet travel plan via :

Pin It to Pinterest